Friday, January 23, 2009

Ch. 2 Response- Service-Learning Text Book

Chapter Two defined technical communication as "...applied communication, communication designed to perform specific tasks or help the audience solve specific problems." Since the audience is the central benefiter of tech comm, it will be essental to keep the audienence's needs in mind. Attention to the audience's literacy level, access to information, and primary concerns will result in more successful communication.

I learned a couple (personal) benefits of doing a service-learning project: documents published by the organization and used by actual readers will make impressive additions to a writing portfolio; and valuable contacts in one's field of iterest can be made. These benefits are aside from the fact that one is helping (a non-profit agency perhaps) create documents they need, but aren't able to produce because of lack of workforce or expertise.

After reading Chapter Two, I have my mind set on working with a non-profit agency. One concern that I have with this project is the possiblity of a difference between the expectations of the organization and my instructor. What if the organization has more demands than my instructor is requiring? I'm sure that a simple compramise would solve this conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment